Stroganoff is easily one of the most popular dishes in America. It’s a simple and easy to make recipe that can be made with either beef or elk. Elk stroganoff is a bit more expensive to make, but it’s well worth it! The rich elk flavor is amazing and the sauce is creamy and delicious.
What is stroganoff?
Beef stroganoff is a traditional Russian dish that typically consists of beef stroganoff, sautéed mushrooms, and onions. But you can easily substitute it with chicken or elk meat, mushrooms, and vodka if you’d like. It is served over rice or potatoes and can be topped with sour cream or caviar.
How to make Elk stroganoff?
This Elk Stroganoff recipe is a classic dish that is sure to please. The combination of mushrooms, elk, and heavy cream creates a delicious meal that be perfect for a cold winter night, and is sure to please everyone in your family.
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, trimmed elk steak
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped dill
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Dust elk steak with flour, salt, and pepper. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add elk steak and cook for 2 minutes per side, or until browned. Remove from heat.
- In the same skillet, add onion and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, or until onion is softened.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes, or until softened. Add beef broth and sour cream. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Return elk steak to the skillet and toss with mushroom mixture. Serve over rice, potatoes, or noodles. Top with parsley and dill, if desired.
- When making stroganoff, it’s important to use a good quality meat. Elk is a great choice because it is lean and easy to cook.
- When it comes to cream, you don’t need a lot – just enough to give the dish a richness and depth of flavor.
- Be sure to use fresh garlic for the best results. Garlic cloves should be peeled and chopped finely.
- To make the dish even richer and creamier, you can add a little heavy cream or half and half to the sauce before serving.
- Stroganoff is a great dish to serve over rice or pasta.
What do you serve Elk stroganoff with?
Elk stroganoff is a dish that is often enjoyed by those who love a hearty and rich meal. This dish can be served with a variety of different sides, such as rice, noodles, pasta or potatoes. The dish can also be paired with a variety of different toppings, such as sour cream, cheese, or bacon. There are a number of different recipes that can be used to create Elk stroganoff, but the most common is to simply sauté the Elk meat in a butter or oil mixture until it is cooked through. Then, add some onion, garlic, and a variety of different spices to create a delicious and hearty dish.
How to storage it?
Elk stroganoff can be stored in the refrigerator for up to four days. Make sure your elk stroganoff is stored in an airtight container. This will help keep the sauce from becoming watery and make sure the flavors stay strong.
FAQs about Elk Stroganoff
How can I make my elk more tender?
One way to make your elk more tender is to cook it slowly over low heat. You can also try using a thickener such as arrowroot or cornstarch, or cooking the elk in a braising liquid such as red wine or beef broth.
What flavors go best with elk?
There are many different flavors that go great with elk stroganoff. Some popular options include red wine, mushroom, and onion.
What kind of wine goes with elk?
Wine is a great option for pairing with elk stroganoff. You can use a red wine, such as a Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, or Zinfandel, or a white wine, such as a Chardonnay or Riesling.
What herbs go best with elk?
Some popular herbs that go great with elk stroganoff include thyme, rosemary, and parsley. You can also add other spices, such as black pepper or cayenne pepper, to make the dish your own.
Is elk healthier than beef?
This is a difficult question to answer. Overall, elk is a healthy meat option, but there are some differences between elk and beef. For example, elk contains more fat. However, the fat in elk is healthy fat and is a great source of protein.
Sweet Basil’s Cafe‘s Elk Stroganoff recipe is a great way to tantalize your taste buds and impress your guests. The creamy sauce and tender, juicy elk make this dish a hit with everyone. Be sure to try it out for yourself and see just how amazing it can be!
This article was originally posted on Liliana Kitchen but Liliana Kitchen is being acquired by Sweet Basil’s Cafe and all lilianakitchen.com content is copyrighted by cafesweetbasils.com