DAERA works with DAFM to facilitate animal transport for NI farmers

Eva Osborne-Sherlock Profile Picture

DAERA works with DAFM to facilitate animal transport for NI farmers

Northern Ireland’s Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) has said it has been working closely with the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine (DAFM) to facilitate the process of animal transport authorization.

DAERA said it is aware that pedigree sales are to be held in Ireland over the coming months and that Northern Ireland buyers may wish to purchase animals at these sales.

The department issued a reminder to potential buyers that animals purchased in Ireland must be certified by authorities on the TRACES system in order to permit travel into Northern Ireland.

Before a transporter can be registered on TRACES – which is the European Commission’s online platform for certification required for the importation of animals and animal products – they must possess the correct transporter authorization.

Recent changes made to the TRACES system in relation to the requirements for animal movements now mean that those transporting animals in connection with an economic activity (eg trade) for distances over 65km need a valid transport authorization.

Northern Ireland-issued transporter authorizations are not recognized in the EU/Ireland.

If transporters do not hold a valid EU/Irish transporter authorization and intend to transport animals from Ireland to Northern Ireland, DAERA said they will need to either use an approved EU/Irish transporter or apply to DAFM to obtain their own transporter authorization.

Once approved, DAFM will add the new transporter authorization details onto the TRACES system.


As well as adhering to the recent changes to TRACES, DAERA said that those wishing to move/import animals from the Republic of Ireland to Northern Ireland must comply with two additional requirements.

The first of these is to be correctly registered on the TRACES system as an operator and with the correct activity type (eg bovine establishment) before they import/move the animals.

The second of those is that transporters need to either be an approved EU/ROI transporter or have engaged the services of an approved EU/ROI transporter who is registered on TRACES as an operator with the correct transporter activity type.


I'm William from America, I'm a food lover, often discovering and making new recipes. I started my blog to share my love for food with others. My blog is filled with delicious recipes, cooking tips, and reviews about restaurants and products. I'm also an advocate for healthy eating and strive to create recipes that are easy to make and use fresh ingredients. Many of my recipes contain vegetables or grains as the main ingredients, with a few indulgences thrown in for good measure. I often experiment with new ingredients, adding international flavors and finding ways to make dishes healthier without compromising on flavour. I'm passionate about creating simple yet delicious recipes that are fun to make and can easily be replicated at home. I also love sharing my experiences eating out with others so they can get the best out of their dining experiences. In addition to cooking and writing, I'm also an avid traveler, often visiting new places to discover local delicacies and explore different flavors. I'm always looking for a new challenge – whether it's trying an exotic food or creating a new recipe using unusual ingredients. My blog is a reflection of my passion for food and I'm always looking for new ways to share it with the world. Join me on my culinary journey and let's explore delicious foods together!

Related Articles

Back to top button